Oftentimes people will keep their spare key under their doormat, on top of their front door frame, or in a flower pot. This is extremely unsafe as most criminals check these areas for keys first! Here at Greenville Lock Locksmith Services, your local Greenville locksmith, we’ve got some better ideas. It’s still smart to keep a spare key around in the event that you’re locked out of your house, but don’t hide it in the most obvious places.
- Consider keeping a key in a lockbox that’s hidden somewhere on your property. Instead of putting the spare in a potted plant, try hiding your key in a lockbox behind some vegetation.
- Don’t hide it at all! Give it to someone. Remember, only give a spare key to someone you know and truly trust. It’s probably not smart to give your spare key to a new neighbor because a key can be easily duplicated and fall into the wrong hands.
- If you have vinyl siding, you may be able to find a lip where you can tuck your spare key. Just remember not to do this close to the front of the house.
- You can also get a fake rock and put it in or under that. Just remember to put it with other rocks so that it doesn’t stand out.
- If you own an out building or shed, there’s probably a lot of places within the structure that you can hid your key. Maybe under a gas can or in your stack of scrap wood?